Thursday, January 27, 2011

We're on lockdown

I love to watch Aiden learn new things, however there's one trick I sorta wish he hadn't learned: how to open doors. He's know how for a while now. At first I was proud..what an accomplishment for a boy whose chubby little fingers could barely reach the door handle. But over time it's turned into my least favorite achievement of his. One issue I've had is that since the day he learned how to open the door, no one is safe in the bathroom without a tiny little intruder. And the most frustrating reason is that we keep things behind closed doors that he has no business playing with...i.e. the trash can, cleaning products, nail polish, etc. With the most important of those objects being the trashcan. I mentioned his love for the trash in my previous post and well....he really enjoys opening the pantry where we keep the kitchen trash and just looking at it, touching it and moving it around. When I remove him from the pantry he unleashes screams that eat at your soul. It's not pretty. So my solution was going on lock down.
So far so good. I've learned that when he can't get into something because I won't let him then he has a meltdown. But when he can't into something just because he can't...well, he's actually fine with that. Here he was this morning trying to figure out what happened to the door.
And here he is when he figured out he's never getting that door open again. A little discouraged, but he got over it quickly.


Thank you target for providing a solution to the biggest little battle we've had so far. I am in love with these door locks.

1 comment:

Mikelle said...

Yes. That is another reason why I'm glad my kids are small....it takes them a lot longer to reach the door handle. I really hate that stage, because then you are constantly worrying about toilets, bathtubs, etc. Luckily Kamryn is still far off.