Monday, January 10, 2011

jury duty

Today I had jury duty...and actually HAD to go! This marked the fourth time I've received a jury summons. The first two times I got lucky and didn't have to show up. And the third time the summons date was my exact due date for roy boy, so a handy little doctors note got me out of that one. I have been dreading the day I would actually have to go to jury duty. I was reminded three times today that "next to voting, being a juror is the most important civic duty you can fulfill". Sure, it's my civic duty and I love America & justice just as much as the next guy. But the thought of being a juror just doesn't excite me. I could have handled it for a day, but the 12 bucks a day they're paying doesn't really make being away from Aiden, having to find someone to watch him & having to miss work worth it. So to make a long story short, after being offered a three day trial, myself and my fellow self-employed potential jurors who didn't want to miss work this week were released by 11:00am. I left with a skip in my step and a note in my hand that guarantees I won't be called for jury duty for at least two years...hooray!
Overall, my day at the courthouse was pretty uneventful with the exception of one weirdo that crossed my path.
This morning I got on the jury shuttle bus downtown and this guy in his mid-twenties sat down next to me and, without hesitation, said to me "I'm only sitting next to you because you're my same age. I'm married so I'm not looking for funny business". He said this as he shoved his wedding ring in my face. Of course, I thought he was kidding...I was obviously not interested in "funny business" whatever that may be. So I laughed and he responded with a death stare...he wasn't kidding. So I flashed my wedding ring back at him and we ignored each other for the rest of the day. Who does that? For the record...even if I were single, I wouldn't necessarily think of looking for a potential mate in the jury pool AND the bus was half empty..he could have had an entire row to himself if he was that worried that I was interested in "funny business". People are so weird.

No comments: