Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Freezing Fanatic x 6

My experience with freezer meals was such a great success that this time we included all the ladies on both sides of our family in a food prep day. I wish I had taken pictures of all the action because it was pretty intense. We ended up using 60 pounds of chicken and 30 pounds of ground turkey between all of us. We were able to make TWENTY dinners and FOURTY breakfasts for EACH family. Buying in bulk made it even more affordable than it was the first time I tried it. We ended up spending about $105.00 per family for all of the meals.

These are the recipes that we made (each family got two dinners worth of each dinner recipe):
-Meatballs
-Lemon Chicken
-Cilantro Lime Chicken
-Hawaiian Pork Chops
-Turkey Chilli
-Calico Beans
-Taco Casserole
-Slow cooker Thai Chicken
-Slow cooker Sloppy Joes
-Honey Garlic Chicken

and for breakfasts we made 40 breakfast burritos per family and 20 pre-made smoothie packs per family.

That's a lot of good food for just $105.00. And the great thing is that these recipes are not only gluten and dairy free BUT also unbelievably easy to prepare. They're pretty much either crock pot or just thaw and bake. Total time spent on prep day = about 6 hrs.

Here's a shot of my extra freezer filled with tasty goodness:

2 comments:

Mikelle said...

I want to come to the next one! I try to do freezer meals, but instead of having one day (that would be way too chaotic with all my kids) I just make double or triple what I normally would and then freeze the extras. I do cook a ton of chicken at once and shred it so its ready to go.

janae said...

We're doing the next one either late may or early june. Maybe it'd be a good excuse for you to come for another visit!