Monday, January 2, 2012

Spinach Breakfast Burritos

I mentioned in this post that we made these delish breakfast burritos from a blog I found on Pinterest. Well, we ran out so we had to make them again. This time I documented the process in case you might want to try making them with spinach. I'm telling you...if you like breakfast burritos and you like easy meals then you really should try this. They're good.

Go here to read the ingredients list and super detailed instructions. This time we bought our goods from Costco. I love that they have organic eggs. We used about 30 eggs, one box of turkey bacon, half of a large pack of organic spinach, 34 tortillas and two small bags of organic red fingerling potatoes (got those at wholefoods).
This is what our burrito making fiesta looked like last night:

Step one: Get a medium soy carmelizer from Dutch Brothers. You won't regret it (unless you're like me at midnight and still wired because you're a wimp and coffee somehow has a super long lasting effect on you...but even then you won't totally regret it because it really is so delicious).
Step two: Turn on This American Life. This is a favorite of ours. We both have the app on our phone but you can listen to it on the computer if you're at home. Such interesting stories. Great for long car rides, housecleaning, or burrito making. Anyway...back to the burritos.
Step three: Cook bacon, tortillas, wash and cut the potatoes then stick them in the oven. And while everything else is cooking saute spinach in skillet with 2tsp of butter (we use non-dairy butter around here.)Step four: Bust out the handy magic bullet...i love that thing. Puree the spinach and then wisk it in to your already beaten eggs.
Step five: cook eggs as usual. I know it might seem weird eating green eggs but they taste just like regular scrambled eggs. I've made green eggs for Aiden quite a bit and he loves them just the same as normal ones.
Step six: Mix everything together in one bowl for easy burrito assembly.Side note: The blog recommends using a variety of meats so last time we did half the burritos with organic chicken sausage and half with turkey bacon. The turkey bacon burritos were far better than the sausage so this time we decided to stick with just turkey bacon and it actually really simplified the process. I was surprised at how one little change could make the burrito stuffing so much quicker.
Step seven: flash freeze the burritos for an hour then wrap individually.

And then you're done. Super easy and only takes about 2 hours to prep at least two weeks worth of breakfast. We got 34 burritos out of this batch. Not bad.You can heat them up straight from the freezer when you're ready to eat. Or sometimes I even set a couple in the fridge to thaw overnight, I think they're better that way. I also recommend an ample dose of Cholula hot sauce to spice things up.

So there you have it. I think you should try these and let me know what you think.

No comments: