Wednesday, May 4, 2011

buh-bye ben & jerry

The baby having journey continues for us and with it comes a few changes. We've decided that I will never again take chlomid (I know it works for a lot of people and that's a wonderful thing...but it made me way too hormonal to want to subject myself or my boys to the insanity). The chlomid paired with the shots, the million dr. appointments and keeping such a rigid schedule made me a crazy person. And a crazy mama is not what this family needs right now. With that decision came thoughts of wondering if there was something more natural I could do to help my body be in prime baby growing mode. So first I decided to start running. I'm going through a couch to 5k program that is actually, I can't believe I'm about to say this....enjoyable. I'm on week three and loving it.
I also decided to try acupuncture. I've heard it can help with infertility so I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what happens. Today was my first appointment and I loved it. In fact, I highly recommend it. The dr. had me keep a food journal for the past week so he could see what my diet looks like. Let's just say he was less than thrilled with the starbucks cake pops and the NYPD pizza garlic knots. Oops! He thinks going on a dairy free diet would do wonders for my body so I'm giving it a go! I've already stocked my fridge with unsweetened almond milk and Daiya (fake cheese). I am excited to see what happens but am also a little sad to say good bye to two of my best buds...ben & jerry. Their Phish Food is my weakness and I've almost gone to the store 5 different times today to buy some just so I could say a proper goodbye by inhaling an entire pint in one sitting. But I'm going to be strong.
We spent part of the appointment today discussing my stress levels & finding ways to relax. Mandatory massages...yes please! And besides just the needles he did another method of chinese medicine (I can't remember the name) to relieve tension in my neck and shoulders...this is what I look like now. It felt so good, but has left me with quite the bruising. Honestly, no pain at all...but this is the result. Weird, huh? He assures me it'll be gone in a few days.
And lastly I have this herbal tea to drink three times a day. I was nervous about this one...but it tastes pretty good.
So that's our plan & we'll see how it goes. I'm attempting my first dinner with fake cheese tomorrow night so stay tuned to see if it's anything like the real deal.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh, Phish Food (and Cherry Garcia)! You treated us so well all those years of sleepovers. Alas, the time has come indeed to bid farewell.

Praying for you and very proud of you! You are an encouragement and inspiration.

Deanna said...

Your neck looks crazy! That is so weird and scary. But if you say it doesn't hurt, I guess I can believe you?

Never been into ben and Jerry's though... not sure why since I love pretty much everything else bad for me.

Mikelle said...

I'm excited for you to try all these ideas! I don't think I could give up dairy and start running, but I bet my body would love me for it.I'll eat some ice cream for you! But really, I hope this helps you in your journey..you deserve it! I'll call you later.