Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whats the deal TSA?

So as I stated in my previous post..we went on a trip. This trip required flying, of course. Aiden's first time on a plane. I was pretty nervous about how he'd do on the flight...little did I know his behavior on the flight would be the least of my worries. It was the behavior of the TSA at PHX that was outrageous.
Issue #1: They wanted Aiden to walk through the metal detector on his own, to a woman he didn't know. Not gonna happen! He wouldn't do it. So after the lady made me try to force him to walk through for the third time she lost her cool and YELLED at me "Just pick him up and bring him through!" Which I'd already asked to do after the first failed walk through attempt. Ugh.
Issue #2: We rented a "go-go kid" (which I loved by the way & highly recommend) to attach to the car seat so we could wheel it through the airport instead of needing a stroller as well. They wanted it removed from the car seat before they'd let it go through the x-ray machine, but didn't tell me that until I was already on the other side of the metal detector. So my poor mom was trying to figure out how to take it off. Well, I tried explaining it to her & that got me in the hot seat yet again. Another tsa guy yelled at me this time "maam...back up!" So I told him if I couldn't explain how to get it off, it wasn't going to happen" So the same yelling lady from earlier then said "you're trying to reach over the barrier!" For the record, I was about 5 feet from the barrier and was holding my son in my arms...there was no reaching going on. So after their rudeness almost made my mom cry, they decided to hand check the carseat for explosives.
Issue #3: I needed to bring milk for my little bud so I thought I was brilliant to buy one of those small 12oz. sealed bottles of milk from the store. If it's sealed, there would be no issue...right? Wrong. I had to unseal it and they had to test it, which really didn't bother me...but by that point I was so annoyed with the shenanigans that had just happened I was just ready to get the heck away from the security check point.
Issue #4: Although there were empty seats on the plane, including one that was right next to mine they would not let me bring Aiden's car seat on the plane for him to sit in. On this trip we flew out of Phoenix, Houston, Alexandria and Memphis and Phoenix was the one and only airport that was not cooperative about letting us bring his car seat on the plane. I figured they'd prefer to have kids buckled up in their own car seats, but instead they told me just to put him in the empty seat and use the seatbelt that was there. In case you're wondering....it didn't work the same as the car seat. Duh.
But with all of that said...Aiden did surprisingly well on the flights & I really appreciate the other airports that did allow us to bring his car seat on the plane....I think it made a huge difference & is what made each flight so successful. So now we're semi-pro flyers...I think we've got a handle on what to expect but I need a few more flights under our belts to really feel like I know all that I need to do to make things run smoothly.

Here we are pre-flight with the go-go kid. It's blurry, I know...my camera phone isn't the best

Ps....we rented the go-go kid from here. Their website is really neat and super easy to rent from. If you have guests coming in town or just want to try out a different product you should definitely check them out. It's great!

No comments: