Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Operation: Playhouse Renovation

This year I decided the Roy Boy needed a playhouse for his b-day.  I saw one at Costco that was absolutely adorable and had every intention of picking it up before his birthday next Monday.  Then last Friday I decided to do a quick craigslist search to see if there were any wooden playhouses for sale there.  There were actually quite a few of the same exact house from Costo for sale...BUT...much to my disappointment, they were all SO faded and quite frankly, pretty ugly after weathering the AZ sun.  That made me second guess my upcoming costco purchase completely. I am not paying all that money for something that's going to be ugly by the end of summer.  (ps...how far away from the end of summer are we?  I.AM.DYING. Can't take this heat anymore.)  Then I found "THE ONE".  It was about a year old, had only been played in twice and was half the price of the one from Costco.  It has a clock, a pretend sink and grill, a phone and a doorbell.  An actual functioning doorbell.  Aiden is obsessed with doorbells.  I emailed AND called...and might have even said a little prayer and then emailed again.  And the guy called back right away and said we could come get it that night.

Luckily for us, we own a giant box truck. Unluckily for us the air conditioning in the truck was dead so we sweat the whole way to the adorable little playhouse.  Then poor poor Andrew and the owner of said playhouse had to carry it through a yard, around a pool, over a pool fence and over a side gate just to get it to the truck.  It was intense.  All just to get it home and have to carry it through our yard and over our fence.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...my husband is a saint.  Andrew and his dad unloaded it Saturday morning while Aiden and I ran some errands.  Then during nap time I headed out back and went into renovation mode.  New paint, spider removal & the addition of some accessories.

Then I had Aiden come outside and told him that his birthday present was out there, he just had to find it.  He started walking around the patio and came across his tricycle that was last years birthday present.   He squealed about how happy we was to have a NEW BIKE?!?!  What?  So I reminded him that he's had that bike for a year and he needed to keep looking.  Had I known we could just re-gift the bike year after year I could have saved a lot of effort.  Anyway.  He found the house. And he died.  He said "Mom, is this a joke!?! Is this MY house?"  I assured him it was and he was beyond excited.  He then quickly decided it's a pizza shop. Typical.  And then he spent the afternoon making Ruffy eat imaginary pizza.

He's obsessed.  And well, I'm kind of obsessed too.  It's so fun and he's so happy.  So here are the pics.

Before


After

 I have a few more updates I want to do this week i.e. add a house number and a doorknob and maybe find some little furniture for him too.  Operation Playhouse Renovation was a success.

2 comments:

lindsay said...

Awesome! You are such a good mama Janae!

Mikelle said...

It is so cute! The flag and plants are the perfect touch!