Ok, so I am attempting to register for Aiden & I need advice. I am registering right now on the BabiesRUs website & they have a very detailed "must have checklist" that gives suggestions in each category. I've found it pretty helpful but still have some questions. So here they are:
1. As far as things like teething gels, baby pain relief, gas relief drops etc. what brands are best & which are your favorite?
2. They suggest to register for a potty training potty, plus a travel potty, plus a transition potty. Do I really need to register for all three?
3. Baby soaps, lotions etc....which brands do you love? I really want the soaps and lotions to be more on the organic/natural side. Any suggestions?
4. Are there any brands (of anything!) that you swear by?
5. What were the gifts that you registered for that you couldn't live without?
6. How many thermometers does one girl need? They suggest a digital thermometer, booty thermometer & ear thermometer.
7. Diaper gene...is it worth it?
8. Bottle warmer & diaper wipe warmers....are they necessary?
Please comment back & give as much advice as possible! Thanks SO much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
ok, I'll take a stab. Now I can't see the questions any more, but I'll try to answer. I use a lot of generic stuff (generic desitin, baby wash, gas relief, diapers, etc.) I don't think there is anything that I HAVE to have name brand.
I wouldn't worry about potty seats yet. You can experiment with those when the time comes. NO to the dipaer genie. I loved it at first, until the baby is eating regular food...then it does NO good, and the refills are really expensive. I don't know about a bottle warmer, but I think a wipe warmer would be a waste too. What else?
OK, I have a thermometer that is digital, where you just run it across their forehead, and I love it! It is so much easier than any other kind. It's the kind that doctors use in the office, I think it's around $30 or so.
And, just call me and ask me your questions...I definitely have some experience!
Here are a few things I could not live without...Swaddle Me, sleep sacks, a bouncer, a swing, an exersaucer, tabletoppers or placemat (i.e. "Kiddopotamus Tiny Diner placemat"), highchair and shopping cart cover, and linking rings or letters. We had so much trouble with nighttime sleeping until we started swaddling Emmalyse and the "Swaddle Me" is the easiest way to do it. Sleep sacks are great when they are a little older and the weather is cool, but you don't want to put a blanket in the crib. I was so thankful for a bouncer, swing, and exersaucer when I wanted Emmalyse to be content, safe, and nearby while I showered. Tabletoppers or a placemat are great to use at restaurants when the little one is ready for solid foods and you don't want him or her eating right off the table. Tabletoppers are disposable and adhere to the table. A highchair and shopping cart cover were necessities for me so I could run errands without worrying about the unknown germs lurking on these items! Linking rings or letters have always been one of Emmalyse's favorite toys and they are great for attaching other toys to the carseat, stroller, or highchair. Hope that helps!
I would say you don't really need a lot of stuff until the baby is about 6 months. Here is my list of necessities.
1. Pampers Swaddlers NB (register for more than you think in all sizes)
2. Pampers Sensitive Wipes
3. MAM Pacifiers
4. Swaddle Blankets
5. Boppy Pillow
6. Sleepers (with the AC on you don't want to worry about them getting cold in the night)
7. Detachable car seat
8. Aveeno wash, lotion, diaper cream
9. Saline drops
10. Finger nail clippers
11. Play yard
12. Stroller
14. Carrier or sling
15. Thermometer
16. Lansinoh Breast Pads and other stuff
17. JJ Cole Diaper Bag (I had like 3 others and I love this one)
18. Bottle brush
19. Multiple changing pad covers or lap pads
20. Burp clothes and bibs
21. Bouncer or swing
22. Nursing cover
I used my baby bath like once. I hate onesies...she is either in a sleeper or an outfit. I didn't buy a high chair, jumperoo, or jogging stroller until she was about 6 months. Another good thing to but on you list is the next size car seat. Hope this helps
Here are my suggestions:
1. Kayleigh suffered ( as did we) with colic for the first 3 months. We could not have lived without gas drops. They worked so quickly. We used Mylicon or Gerber gas drops. The mylicon seemed to work better. As far as pain medication goes, we used tylenol. You'll have to ask your pediatrician about the dosage. Our 9 month old takes .4 ml. None of our kids used teething gels. They just chewed on anything and everything they could find.
2. Used a potty chair for Kayleigh for the first week of potty training...hated it! The regular toilet works fine. I wouldn't register for it because you won't need it for a while. Average age is 3. Kayleigh was potty trained at 2, Chandler at 3. You'll find that potty chairs are inexpensive and if you decide to use one, it won't be a big deal.
3. I love Aveeno! I also like the lavender scent for bedtime. It really does help babies relax. Don't know how "natural" they are.
4. Lansinoh for you! I love the disposable table toppers for table food at restaurants. You must have a bouncer and a saucer. The bouncer was a life saver for the first months. We had a swing for Chandler that would swing back and forth and side to side. I really liked that too. I'm sure there's more!
5. Make sure you register for the things that you will need right away... swing, stroller, car seat, play pen, bottles, etc. You may even consider registering for 2 car seats because he won't be in an infant car seat for a long time. Register for a light weight stroller as well as a nice stroller. I ended up using the light weight stroller much more than the big fancy one.
6. Honestly, I love the thermometer that you see at the doctor's office. You run it across the forehead and it's quick. I used the rectal thermometer for Kayleigh (before the forehead one was affordable) because she ran very high fevers (104-105) when she was an infant and the doctor told me it was most accurate. Not fun to take however!
7. NO! I hated that thing. Just take the stinky diaper to the trash outside. Why leave it in the baby's room. It's not so bad in the early months, but I think it's a waste of money!
8. I never used either one. I actually held the wipes in my hand to warm it before wiping my babies first thing in the morning. It's just not necessary.
Hope that helps! You can always call me!! You will be a great mommy. Just trust your mommy instincts, because you will ultimately know what's best for your little guy.
You need the Ergo Baby Carrier....I used my cousins at the Desert Museum and it was so comfortable. I didn't even put Charlotte in the stroller once.
Post a Comment