Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our dinners inspired by bountiful baskets...

We've been taking advantage of the bountiful basket co-op for a few weeks now & I've really enjoyed planning our meals around what our basket held each week. Here are a few meals that were bountiful basket inspired:

#1: Eggplant Ricotta Bake (I only had one eggplant & the recipe called for two, so I subbed in some lasagna noodles on two of the layers and it tasted just fine) - and I made the marinara sauce from scratch with all of the yummy tomatoes we got in our basket. Both my boys loved this one...we ate over half the pan in one sitting!

#2: Sweet & Sour Pork (from here). Used some of the green chilies & tortillas we bought in addition to our basket the week before. With a side of black beans & rice.

#3: Spicy grilled peach glazed chicken with corn fritters & steamed string beans. And when you don't like corn on the cob these fritters are a great way to use the ears that came in the basket.

#4: Green chili burritos. We have 25lbs of green chilies to get through here, so you'd better believe we're using them every chance we get. Also used more of the tortillas.

#5: Eggplant Focaccia. Since I loved the last eggplant recipe I tried, I decided to add an italian pack to my last order so I would for sure get another eggplant & it came with fresh oregano too. I modified the recipe a little to add fresh mushrooms to the dish since we got those in our box this week.

#6: Simple Curry. Using green bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, broccoli, eggplant & cucumber (all from b.b.) with chicken on toasted Naan.delish!

Treats:
4 loaves of pluot/banana bread
1 Peach basket cake

We also froze the berries and grapes to use in big batches of smoothies, using some of our bananas for quick breakfasts. Mangos and Cantaloupe are currently Aiden's fruit of choice with his breakfast this week. We're very excited to see what next week brings!

4 comments:

Mikelle said...

OK, will you come cook for me?? We don't do many vegetables around here (Wes). But everything looked delicious to me!

janae said...

Next time we come visit you I will do the cooking!

corri said...

seriously, where did you learn to cook like that? i am amazed.

theamaros said...

Yum! We are bountiful basket fans as well. Currently trying to figure out how you cook okra :) (okre?) These dishes look great... I think I will try the eggplant ricotta. Seriously making me hungry.